Donated by Julia Ingle Schultz on 19 Aug 2000.

Soldier Died in National Military Home

Ingle, William Abraham born September 01, 1839 in Horse Falls of Greene County Tennessee died in the National Military Home in Bain City Kansas January 30, 1917 of a ruptured gall bladder. He first served in the Tennessee Volunteers 8th Reg't Company G. He was captured near Nashville, Tennessee and sent to Camp Douglas, Illinois. There he took the Oath of Allegiance to the US and entered Company G of the 5th US Volunteers. He was sent to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas to help the Army in controlling the Indians on the Western Frontiers.

William was considered a Galvanized Yankee. "Every where on the Western Frontier in those last days of the Civil War and the hard months after it ended, some 6,000 Americans served as out post Guardians for the nation that at one time or another each had sought to destroy. These were the Galvanized Yankees, former soldiers of the Confederate States of America, who had worn Gray or Butternut before they accepted the Blue uniform of the United States Army in exchange for freedom from prison pens where many of them had endured much of the war. Sent to the Western Frontier so they would not meet their former comrades in battle, they soon found a new foe, The Plains Indian.

A letter written by William Ingle from the National Military Home, Kansas on August 22, 1917 to the Commissioner of Pension, Washington, D. C. reads:

Dear Sir:

My claim for pension, number 10492, which is in your office since March 30 might be strengthened by some further statement which I now make and which I could conscientiously add to my sworn statement as follows: I enlisted from Camp Douglas Chicago, Illinois on April 4, 1865 being a Confederate prisoner of war.

The express understanding was that we were to serve on the western frontiers of the U. S. against the hostile Indians in Kansas, Nebraska and Colorado. as the Indians were then on the war path.

I am not sure that the Regiment 5th U. S. Volunteers Infantry was ever organized but my company G served one year and six months in the then states and territory of Kansas, Colorado and Nebraska. Some time was spent in marching on foot from one state or territory to another doing post duty at different places. We were at cottonwood Springs, Fort Kearney, Nebraska and other points some of which I have forgotten.

Our service was under the command of Lieutenant Thomas Hughes from the time we left Chicago, Illinois to the time of our discharge from the service of the U. S. at Fort Kearney, Nebraska in October 1866.

From Fort Kearney we went out on a special expedition against the Indians who were at that time threatening to make a raid on the white settlements at and near the posts located along the Platt River. If I mistake not this special expedition was in the summer, possibly spring, of 1866. I am not sure about the date.

In the winter, 1865 and 1866, we suffered untold miseries out on the bleak prairie, living in tents much of the winter. Our main fuel was buffalo chips and green cottonwood. Good wood had to be hauled on wagons 85 miles from the foot of the Rocky Mountains.

Would be glad if you would look after this for me.

With Respect,

William A. Ingle

William was seeking a pension for service and from documents in the files he received under $500.00.

Julia IngleSchultz


Return to Index