- Located NW corner NW1/4 Section 29-4-18. Established about 1874. Not listed as post office. Dr. S.M. TRAVIS had a store and Dr. Office on banks of Skunk Creek. Early settlers called it Elm Creek, 2 1/2 miles east of Speed. Moved to Big Bend (Speed) when it became a town in 1900.
This information originally appeared in PHILLIPSBURG - PHILLIPS COUNTY CENTENNIAL 1872 - 1972. Published by the Phillipsburg Centennial Committee which was edited and compiled by Cecil KINGERY.
Phillipsburg Centennial Committee Members:
Luetta MALEY, Joy KENDALL, Cecil KINGERY, JoAnn LUMPKIN, Kay BURNS, Libby MASON, McDill "Huck" BOYD, Judy PARTINGTON, Dan HEINZE, Larry BOEVE.
Return to Early Towns of Phillips County
Return to Phillips County
- Home Page for Kansas State Library