- A little town in Phillips County located in Granite Township on Prairie Dog Creek and the Chicago, Burlington and Quency Railroad. Had a bank, a newspaper (THE BUDGET), hotel, Alfalfa Mill. Population in 1910 was 200. Established 1879. SE1/4 Section 2-1-19. (Granite Township). Postmasters: James H. HILL, December 7, 1885; Reynolds H. JOHNSON, November 14, 1886. Alice CHEADLE, March 14, 1888; John D. CHEADLE, June 26, 1890. Alonzo L. BARRETT, October 26, 1898; Jacob T. JOYCE, August 9, 1901; John T. CHEADLE, July 29, 1907; Clyde H. BURLINGAME, February 26, 1925. Mrs. Gladys LEE, December 17, 1929; Mrs. Nellie MOORE, January 6, 1936; All business buildings have been removed from the townsite. A few people maintain their residences in the townsite.
This information originally appeared in PHILLIPSBURG - PHILLIPS COUNTY CENTENNIAL 1872 - 1972. Published by the Phillipsburg Centennial Committee which was edited and compiled by Cecil KINGERY.
Phillipsburg Centennial Committee Members:
Luetta MALEY, Joy KENDALL, Cecil KINGERY, JoAnn LUMPKIN, Kay BURNS, Libby MASON, McDill "Huck" BOYD, Judy PARTINGTON, Dan HEINZE, Larry BOEVE.
Return to Early Towns of Phillips County
Return to Phillips County
- Home Page for Kansas State Library