The township history material was taken from the Historical Atlas of Wilson County Kansas published in 1881, and submitted by Bill Bentley.
Talleyrand Township. - This township was created April 3d, 1871, and a special election for choosing township officers held on the 15th of the same month, at the house of Isaac Millard. The following persons were elected: T. T. Munson and S. M. Stansbury, Justices; E. Doane and Isaac Millard, Constables; A. C. Johnston, Trustee; Ed. Steele, Treasurer; J. W. Paulen, Clerk. The first settlers in township located in 1866. They were S. M. Stansbury, Ivy Stafford, D. L. Stafford, Z., J. H. and Mary J. Dunn, Wm. Tibbetts, Josiah Stansbury, and a Mr. Doane, all of whom took claims on Fall river. The first actual settlers among them were the Dunn brothers and their sister, who located permanently Aug. 6th, 1866. The first wedding in the township was that of Wm. Tibbetts, Jr. and Eliza Henry, in Oct. 1869. The first child born was a son of Jonathan and Jane Cox, who lived in the Ox-bow bend, in 1869. The claims along Fall river were all taken by the close of 1869, and immigrants began settling on the upland. In 1870-71 the township did not contain an unclaimed quarter section of land considered worth taking. La Fontaine P. O. was established March 14, 1879. Jas. T. Swinney, P. M.
Additional histories included are:
|Tom & Carolyn Ward